In alignment with our Mission Statement we will reserve a section of our newsletter each issue for celebrating the things that Capitola Veterinary Hospital does to respect the Earth through sustainable practices. This month our topic is biodegradable poop bags; we sell ’em, we use ’em, here’s why:
- 4 million tons – It is estimated that dog owners do not collect over 4 million tons of dog waste annually.
- 20-30% of all pollutants in waterways attributed to dog waste – Pollutants originating from rainwater run-off via sewer systems, and dogs pooping near watersheds or beaches. Overall, it is believed dog waste is third or fourth on the list of contributors to bacteria in contaminated waters.
- 4th highest generated waste – Plastics are the fourth highest generated waste in the U.S., originate from petroleum which is non-renewable, do not biodegrade, and take thousands of years to break down.
- Paper, yard trimmings, and food scraps are the top three generated. However, all of them come from renewable resources.
- Plastics are the least recycled with a 6.9% recovery rate.
- In 2006, the U.S. produced 29.5 million tons of plastic and only recycled 2.04 tons.