Part of our mission statement at Capitola Veterinary Hospital is to practice our profession with respect for Life and Earth. Over the last year we have made tremendous progress towards making our office as “green” as possible. We’d like to illustrate some of these efforts for our present and future clients, many of whom support us in our green goals and share our passion for doing one’s part to preserve and protect the natural environment.
- We have recently installed top-of-the-line digital x-ray processing units for dental and full-body x-rays, meaning a huge reduction in chemical usage and hazardous material waste. Digital x-rays require significantly lower radiation to produce which provides additional safety for our patients and staff. Not to mention the obvious tremendous increase in quality with digital images compared to x-ray film.
- We now receive all faxes digitally. To give an idea of how much paper this saves, we are pleased to report that we have not loaded any paper in the fax machine for the last four months!
- All of the outside lab work results are now being received digitally, just like our faxes. Also, we have brand new state-of-the-art in-house laboratory equipment that posts results directly into computerized patient records without ever having to be printed on paper.
- We now type our patient records in our computer software. This not only saves paper but allows us to provide better service to our clients and patients because these records can be easily shared between specialty hospitals and are available to more than one staff member at a time. No more ever expanding charts to keep track of or deciphering handwritten entries!
- All clients now have the option of having their invoices emailed to them rather than having them printed.
- We have eliminated the vast majority of brochures and “handouts” when communicating with our clients. Instead, we have developed an extensive library of digital client education documents that we can email to clients.
- We have added more recycling stations around the hospital and we strive to reuse as much paper as we can by printing on both sides before sending it out for recycling.
- We have completely re-structured our in-hospital communication system. We no longer use paper to communicate with each other, but rather a collection of re-usable laminated cards and wet-erase pens. What this boils down to is a significant reduction in paper waste, which we are all very proud of!
- Water saving features have been installed on hospital sinks, our toilet is low flush volume and we use only organic and biodegradable soaps throughout the hospital for regular hand washing wherever possible. This means that we are using less water in general and that our waste-water is less harmful to the environment.